Dr. David Kaplan is an established clinician-scientist with a solid scientific background combining bench research with clinical expertise and experience. In addition to the below publications, he provides an ongoing monthly dermatology series in a medical publication, has participated in over 20 clinical trials, has appeared on radio and television as an expert in dermatology. He continues to provide patient care in his private practice in Overland Park, KS while continuing his research activities
Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, P.A. Dr. David Kaplan Skin Care
4601 West 109th Street, Suite 116 4601 West 109th St, Ste 116
Overland Park, KS 66211 Overland Park, KS
Residency in Dermatology, 1985-1988
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
Research Fellowship in Dermatology, 1984-1985 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, 1981-1984 Medical College of Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA Bowman Gray School of Medicine at Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC M.D. degree, May 1981 University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO M.S. degree in Microbiology, July 1977 Washington University, St. Louis, MO B.A. degree in Biology, May 1975
Dermatology Research Fellow, Dermatology Foundation
Duke University Medical Center, 1984-1985
Areas: Percutaneous absorption, Collagen biosynthesis
Graduate Research Assistant University of Missouri, Kansas City, 1976-1977 Area: Genetic Engineering Washington University, 1974-1975 St. Louis, MO Areas: Microbiology, Botany, Biochemistry
American Board of Dermatology, 1988
American Board of Internal Medicine, 1985
- The Sign of Leser-Trelat Associated with Primary Lymphoma of the Brain.
Kaplan DL, Jegasothy B. Cutis 34(2):164-165, 1984
- Dermatobia hominis: An unwelcome visitor to North Carolina. Kaplan DL.
North Carolina Medical Journal 47:514-516, 1986
- An Enlarging Tumor of the Foot. Moeller CA, Welch RH, Kaplan DL. Archives
of Dermatology 123:653-659, 1987
- Multiple Hairy Pacinian Neurofibromas (nerve sheath myxoma). McCormack
K., Kaplan DL, Murray JC, Fetter BF. Journal of the American Academy of
Dermatology. 18:416-419, 1988
Erosion of Psoriatic Plaques after Chronic Methotrexate Administration. Kaplan DL, Olsen
EA. International Journal of Dermatology. 27:59-62, 1988
Cutaneous Mycobacterium marinum Infection. Kaplan DL. Infections in Medicine. 5:257-264, 1988
- Swimming Pool Granuloma: Mycobacterium marinum. Cutaneous Infections.
Kaplan DL. PA 88. 5:161-167 & 175, 1988
Electron Microscopic Analysis of Chlorpromazine Pigmentation. Benning T, McCormack KM,
Ingram P, Kaplan DL, Shelburne JD. Archives of Dermatology 124:1451-1453, 1988
- Unna’s Boot. Kaplan DL. North Carolina Medical Journal. 50:103, 1989
- Kaposi’s Sarcoma. Carson SC, Kaplan DL. North Carolina Medical Journal. 50:159, 1989
- Cutaneous Segmental Neurofibromatosis. Kaplan DL, Pestana A. Southern Medical Journal.
- Eruptive Pruritic Papules. Kuttner BJ, Kaplan DL, Rothstein MS. Archives of
Dermatology. 125:985, 1989
- A New Stabilized Ascorbic Acid Solution: Percutaneous Absorption and Effect on Collagen
Synthesis. Kaplan DL, Moloney SJ, Troy WR, Dickens MS,
Pinnell SR. Journal of Cutaneous Aging and Cosmetic Dermatology. 1:115-121, 1989
- Cronkite-Canada Syndrome: Light and Electron Microscopy of the Cutaneous Pigmentary
Abnormalities. Herzberg AJ, Kaplan DL. International Journal of Dermatology. 29:121-
- Photo Tips. Wong RC, Kaplan DL, Thompson PB, Woolridge WE. Consultant. 31:49-51,
- Biblical Leprosy: An Anachronism Whose Time Has Come. Kaplan DL. Journal of the
American Academy of Dermatology. 28:507-510, 1993
- Pityriasis Amiantacea: A Report of Ten Cases. Ring D, Kaplan DL. Archives of
Dermatology 129:913-914, 1993
- Pitfalls in Sunscreen Application. Loesch H, Kaplan DL. Archives of Dermatology.
- Isotretinoin and Gilbert’s syndrome. Wang J, Jackson TJ, Kaplan DL. Journal of the
American Academy of Dermatology 32:136-138, 1995
- A Brief History of Psoriasis. Kaplan DL. Journal of Geriatric Dermatology
3(Suppl. B):4B-6B, 1995
- Delayed-Onset Cobalt Hypersensitivity Reaction after Stainless Steel Hip Implant.
Kaplan, DL. Southern Medical Journal 88:S32-33, 1995
- Acquired Telangiectasia of the Ear: Predictive Marker for Cutaneous
Malignancy. Jaffe D, Kaplan DL. Journal of Geriatric Dermatology 4:206-209, 1996
- Common Dermatoses in Black Skin. Kaplan DL. Consultant 38:189-199, 1997
- Treatment of Recurrent Herpes Zoster: Acyclovir versus Famciclovir. Pase R, Kaplan DL.
Journal of Clinical Dermatology 1:16-7, 1998
- The Affliction of Job: Poisoned! Kaplan DL. Journal of the American Academy of
Dermatology 40:126-128, 1999
- Pruritus, Part I. Rupp JF, Kaplan, DL. Consultant 1999 39(11):3157-3159, 1999
- Scratching the Surface of Pruritic Disorders. Rupp JF, Kaplan, DL. Consultant
- Pruritus, Part II. Rupp JF, Kaplan DL. Consultant 39(12):3367-3381, 1999
- Evaluating Your Patient with Generalized Pruritus. Rupp JF, Kaplan DL. Consultant
- All That Itches Is Not Ivy in Consultations & Comments. Kaplan DL. Consultant 40:17,
- Scratching the Surface of Pruritic Disorders, Part 2. Rupp JF, Kaplan DL. Consultant
- Pruritus: Causes-Cures, Part 3. Rupp JF, Kaplan DL. Consultant 40(2):321-331, 2000
- Terbinafine and Potential Drug Interactions. Kaplan DL. J Am Acad Derm 43:882,
- Once-Daily Topical Metronidazole Cream Formulations Effectively Treat the Papules and
Pustules of Rosacea. Dahl M, Kaplan, DL. J Am Academy Dermatology. 2001:
- Atopic dermatitis: How to recognize, how to treat. Tramp C, Kaplan DL.
- Common dermatoses: How to treat safely and effectively during pregnancy, part 1.
Fisher D, Kaplan DL. Consultant. 2001;41(7):1037-1044.
- Common dermatoses: How to treat safely and effectively during pregnancy, part 2.
Fisher D, Kaplan DL. Consultant. 2001;41(8):1174-1182.
- Efficacy and tolerability of combined topical treatment of acne vulgaris with adapalene and clindamycin: a multicenter, randomized, investigator-blinded study. Wolf JE, Kaplan DL,
Kraus SJ, etc. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2003;49:S211-7.